Friday, October 21, 2011

What Is Decoupage?


After a while, I decided to start from basics and learn from the simple craft. And I didn't realized that, this has become part of my life and sooner or later decoupage become one of my hobbies. I am surprised that this simple craft work can bring so much fun to my life. Besides, decoupage has become one of the earning tools for me which can bring me some ideal income.

I found decoupage from a friend, her name is Ooi. She loves craft work, drawing, art work, and she love doing decoupage so much.

From the beginning, she did told me that decoupage can bring lots of FUN. I am not sure about that until I tried to start my first decoupage craft work. I found is funny, creative and is an inexpensive things to do. I can use my imagination to create something special which give a lots of meanings in my life. It is so personal.

Ok, what's so special about "Decoupage"?

And what is Decoupage actually?

Decoupage = Cut ( from the French word )

Some people defined decoupage as an " art produced by decorating a surface with cut outs and then coating it with several layers of varnish or lacquer ".

Basically, decoupage is the craft of decorating household objects, usually wooden furniture or papier-mache boxes, with pictures cut out of paper. It originated in the 18th century, to stimulate the beautiful, intricately hand painted lacquer items that were being imported at great expense from Asia, and early pieces are decorated with Asian art and themes.

Let us put this into a very simple way of explanation. If you can CUT and PASTE, you already know most of the techniques which involved in decoupage.

So simple as you cut out pictures, you glue the pictures onto an object, and then cover the object and pictures with a few coats of glue / decoupage medium ( any medium sized work ) to protect it. By looking at the finished object, you would think decoupage would be COMPLICATED but it isn't!!!




If you would like to know more about decoupage, kindly visit http://www.howtodecoupagetips.com




No comments:

Post a Comment